Saturday, May 1, 2010

NEW TREND OF MODELS AND CELEBRITIES WITHOUT MAKEUP IN MAGAZINES



















It was good to see over at New York Fashion The Cut that in People magazines new "Most Beautiful" edition Heidi Klum goes au naturale for her photoshoot I think it would be fabulous if they did an entire issue so young girls struggling with self-esteem issues will see the natural beauty of women that they admire without the glamorous hair and makeup and photographed in ideal lighting and airbrushed to perfection (or beyond) in magazines. 



On "People"s website's sneak peek they also show  Amanda Seyfried as well and I love her quote ""When I wake up in the morning and I don't have any makeup on, I don't feel ugly. I just feel clean."


















Jessica Simpson also appeared without makeup on the May 2010 cover of Marie Claire and there are more photos of her inside to promote " A Beautiful Me" in conjunction with Operation Smile that she started after working on the TV Show "The Price of Beauty" which  encourages "young people to take a personal oath to identify their inner beauty and unique qualities, recognize their strengths and realize that they can make a difference."  




This is a new trend in the U.S., but a year ago the French edition of ELLE Magazine - April 2009 featured 6 models/actresses without "sans fards" which means "without makeup".



































These are a refreshing change over over-photo shopped ads, such Ralph Lauren one here where the model's hips are smaller than her head that Boing Boing blogged about and Ralph Lauren's marketing and law firm tried to have removed by filing a DMCA takedown notice with Boing Boing's ISP.   Even worse, a short time after the controversy the model, Filippa Hamilton (photo below) was fired for being too fat at 5' 10" and 120 lbs.  More on that story here.

















I also love that all of the photos here are intentional and are to emphasize natural beauty and not just snapshots of celebrities and models "caught" without their makeup on an looking ragged and haggard. 

Don't get me wrong, I am all for using makeup to enhance natural beauty and there are occasions where I cake on and use "product" in my hair and spray it to the point where a tornado wouldn't move it as I want to put my best foot forward.  However, I don't want the pressure on me to feel like I need to do that just to run to Walmart to pick up a gallon of milk lest I frighten small children.  I also want kids and teens to realize their natural beauty and that not even models and celebrities look perfect all the time and it is ok.

No comments: