Tuesday, May 11, 2010

GROOVY GARB


















A long time ago, back in the dark ages before DVD, CDs, video games, computer, the interenet  and  Cable TV, everything was about peace, love and Earth Day, when fringe was fab and color was cosmic - way back in the early 70's.

The above ad is from , What I Found, a blog that features retro/vintage patterns, fashions and ads.  This ad for "Knitting or Crocheting Great Fashion" is a good representation of those items from the early 70's.  I had versions of the poncho and scarf/hat set that my Mom, and avid crocheter, had crafted for me.  The only thing missing from the group is the granny square vest.

As retro items are starting to make a comeback, I would like to offer a word of advice if you would craft something similar to the above - be careful where you wear it and/or make it for as the holes in the garment, especially the poncho and scarf, can catch on things and result in injury.   I will never forget as a child running through a laundromat the poncho got caught a coin insert handle and I crashed to the floor knocking the wind out of me and I truly though I was going to die as it knocked the wind out me and I literally trying to gasp for air. 

For more items click here.


Photo via what-i-found

No comments: